You have a lot of choices
when it comes to summer programs,
but SongFest is one of the only programs
dedicated to song.
- From the Odyssey to the Agnus Dei, Rachmaninov to Radiohead, the electric union between words and the human voice in song has inspired generations of artists and audiences alike. SongFest is the premier training program and festival dedicated to this art at the heart of the human experience.
- In an era of shrinking budgets and opera seasons, the timeless art of song offers both performers and audience members the chance to re-ignite the magic of live theater and music-making by focusing on the bare essentials: music, text, performers, audience, and the indefinable magic between them. The skills you learn here will serve you well in any future music-making you do, and are the essential skills for performing in the more paired down, live theater oriented opera experience of the future.
- Many of the operatic young artist programs have minimal individual instruction time for young artists because it costs the most money, and instead you will spend most of your summer as a chorus member for their major productions. At SongFest, YOU are the focus, and you will never be in a chorus.
- Other young artist programs generally have one or two major artist-faculty with whom you will have the opportunity to work. At SongFest, you will have the opportunity to personally experience the work of over a dozen of the greatest artistic minds today with our internationally renowned artist faculty.
- Operatic young artist programs offer the chance to network with a few select coaches, directors, and conductors. SongFest has many of the same prestigious faculty you will find at other programs, but we also provide the opportunity to work with the best of today's living composers, to perform with some of the best collaborative pianists and recitalist singers of your own generation, and to form artistic partnerships that will stay with you for a lifetime.
- With several masterclasses a day and over fifteen curated concerts of song repertoire, you will be exposed to a mountain of new and exciting music: from gems of the standard repertoire to forgotten masterpieces to music written in ink that is still drying on the page from today's best composers.
- One of the glories of working on song repertoire is the ability to find a poem and piece of music that speak specifically to you at your current stage of development as an artist and a human being. Rather than trying to trap you into an opera "fach box" or a "piano soloist" box, at SongFest we encourage each student to find their unique musical voice.